Here are some cleaning and maintenance tips for your kitchen:
Counter Tops: Counters tops should not be used as a chopping block or hot plate. Please use a cutting board for chopping or hot pads to protect the counter surface. Counters can be cleaned with a soft detergent like soft scrub.
Dishwasher: For optimum efficiency, do not overload your dishwasher and only use dishwasher detergent recommended for automatic dishwashers. To clean the exterior of the dishwasher, wipe with a warm, damp, sudsy cloth. Rinse and wipe dry. Avoid gritty or harsh cleansers, as they will damage the finish. Generally the interior of the dishwasher is self-cleaning. The tub and strainer should be periodically checked for foreign objects.
Garbage Disposal: While your disposal is operating, always keep the cold water running. Sharpening of the blades can be achieved by periodically inserting ice cubes. To deodorize the disposal, insert orange or lemon peels. Do not use drain cleaning chemicals in your disposal. Never put bones, celery, onion peels, cornhusks, artichoke leaves, metal or glass down your disposal. In addition, never insert paper products, matches or cigarettes. Grease and coffee grounds will also clog your garbage disposal.
– The Apartment Living at Shea Apartments
This week’s Maintenance Monday tip comes from Apartment Therapy.
HOW TO CLEAN YOUR BATHTUB WITH A GRAPEFRUIT AND SALT
What You Need
1/4 cup kosher salt
1. Halve Grapefruit: 1 medium to large grapefruit will clean your entire bath or shower from top to bottom, including all the fixtures. Simply cut it in half with a knife and you’ll be all set.
2. Sprinkle With Salt: Using 1 grapefruit half at a time, sprinkle liberally with salt. Wet your bathtub and sprinkle the remaining salt around the bottom.
3. Take That Scrubbing Bubbles!Scrub your grapefruit around your shower or tub, making sure to slightly “juice” the citrus over each fixture and lifting it every few seconds to pick up fresh salt from around the tub instead of just pushing it around.
4. Rinse: When all is said and done, simply rinse away the pulpy bits and the salt and your shower is as good as new. Not only is it clean, it will smell so fantastic you’ll want to curl up in it and read a book. Ok, probably not, but you get the idea!
This technique will get thick grime and dirt rings off your shower area and does amazing work on cast iron tubs especially. You can also use this method to clean your sinks, toilets, tile and more — it just depends on how grapefruit crazy you want to get!
APARTMENT CLEANING TIPS
One of the most important things to keep in mind while cleaning an apartment is to start with one thing at a time. As cleaning the whole apartment at once can itself seem like an herculean task, why not start part by part or room by room.
Living Room Cleaning Tips
- The living room is the one room that will be noticed by guests first. Remember that a clean and beautiful living room looks welcoming to you as well as others!
- Start with putting all the things in their appropriate places like the magazines and newspapers on the table, the CDs and DVDs in their cases, plates and glasses in the kitchen, etc.
- Clean all the drawers, tables, electronic gadgets like the television with a feather duster.
- Rearrange all the things in place. Throw away the unnecessary things.
- Lastly, clean the floor as all the dust from cleaning the tables must now be on the floor. Vacuum the floors and mats.
Kitchen Cleaning Tips
- Kitchen cleaning is the most time-consuming of the lot. But, you got to do it and it is actually easier than it seems.
- First of all clean all the dishes, bowls, glasses and utensils piled in your kitchen sink. If they are difficult to clean in one go, soak them in lukewarm water and clean after 20-25 minutes.
- Now clean the walls and the kitchen counter tops with soap water and sponge. Also remember to clean it with clean water again.
- Clean all the kitchen appliances according to the manual provided. Do not clean the inner side of fridge, microwave or oven with water. Clean only according to the given directions.
- Check the closets and throw away the unwanted, unused or expired food items. Rearrange the remaining things according to their usage and priority. You can put a paper in the closets to prevent dust and molds from growing.
- Lastly, sweep the kitchen floor with a broom or vacuum it.
Bedroom Cleaning Tips
- More often than not, the bedroom is a place to pile up all the things, specially clothes. Cleaning the bedroom is the easiest of all. Let us take a look.
- First and foremost, pick up all the dirty clothes, papers and all other things and keep them in their proper places.
- Do not pile the closet with clothes. Rather sort them out according to variety, color, type, etc. and arrange the closet accordingly. (It is better if you arrange the closet later or you will be bored of cleaning the entire apartment by the time you are done with the closet)
- The side table specially should be looked after and cleaned as it is one of the most cluttered places in a bedroom.
- Clean all the wall hangings, portraits, pictures, etc. with a feather brush.
- Wipe the mirror of the dressing table with a semi wet cloth.
- Now remove the old bed spreads and curtains and keep them aside for washing. Replace them with fresh and clean ones.
- Lastly, as usual, vacuum the floor.
Bathroom Cleaning Tips
- Actually a bathroom needs to be cleaned everyday as a part of simple hygiene. It is not difficult to clean the bathroom as it is only a small part of the apartment but most of us shy away from bathroom cleaning.
- Scrub the sinks, tub and the toilet with a toilet cleaner and brush. Do not forget to clean the faucets
- Clear the bathroom cabinet of all the expired medications and unwanted toiletries.
- Mop the bathroom floor and let it dry naturally.
If you go by the method of one at a time, you will realize that cleaning an apartment is not that difficult. One of the most important apartment cleaning tips is to clean and vacuum the rooms regularly. At least try to clean the dishes regularly so that they do not pile up and give you sleepless nights. Lastly, you can make your own apartment cleaning checklist and work accordingly to minimize the trouble of putting in a lot of hard work on one single day!
Read more at Buzzle: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/apartment-cleaning-tips.html